Saturday, April 11, 2009

Varanasi & Mother Ganges

To Hindus, Varanasi is the holiest place in the universe, and most Hindus make a pilgrimage here at least once in their lives to wash away their sins in the Ganges River. They also believe that if one dies or is cremated here, the soul is freed from the cycle of reincarnation and can finally ascend to heaven.

Our tour of the Ganges began with a sunset boat ride along the ghats, the steps that line the river. We were accompanied by a master sitar player and a tabla player. The music was wonderful and the perfect complement to the view of hundreds of pilgrims bathing in the Ganges, performing Hindu rituals, and preparing to cremate their loved ones and offer their bodies to Mother Ganges.

This holy place of reflection and freedom was especially poignant for me, since yesterday marked 6 months from my dad's passing. I thought about him a lot yesterday, and said a prayer for him as I floated a candle flower down the Ganges at sunset. I also said a prayer and sent a candle in remembrance for my grandma Marie, my aunt Babette, and my grand aunt Vi.

Sitar player Sitar and tabla
The holy city of Varanasi and the Ganges River
A candle flower -- a tealight surrounded by marigolds
A family washing their sins away
The crematory ghat

This morning we returned to the river for a sunrise boat ride, and the river was even more beautiful at dawn. Varanasi has been a beautiful and moving last stop in India. Tomorrow I continue on to Nepal.
Sunrise on the Ganges

0 comments: