Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Coast is Clear in Thailand

As some of you may have heard, there have been some protests and violence in Thailand in the past week. I wanted to let everyone know that the situation has stabilized within the past couple of days, it will not impact my travel plans in Southeast Asia, and I plan to arrive in Bangkok late next week. I received the following e-mail today from the travel company I booked with for Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia:

"As you have most probably seen and heard, there have been on-going anti-government protests in Bangkok. These demonstrations have caused some isolated disruption in Bangkok for the past several days. The Thai military moved in yesterday and in the face of this and a lack of public support, the demonstrators have now dispersed. We are very pleased to advise the situation is resolved and things have now returned to normal.

While the images of these demonstrations were alarming, we would like to reiterate that the protests were only directed at the government. Only the areas around Government House were affected and life in other parts of Bangkok continued as normal during all these events.We look forward to running our tours in this area as scheduled, and having you travel with us."

In blog-related news, I think I have fixed the issue that was preventing comments from working. Thanks to everyone who let me know!

0 comments: