Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day One: Cows, Monkeys, and Peacocks - Oh My!

Hello from India!

It's hard to believe I'm really here, despite the long journey. However, it would also be hard to believe I'm anywhere else, with the constant commotion in the street below, smells of curry wafting in my window, and cows wandering the streets at every turn.

My flights were uneventful and I didn't have much trouble sleeping on the 19 hours of flights after staying up much of the night before. Air India was comfortable, and the food (all THREE meals) was good - mmmm, lamb curry!



French chardonnay & Indian cheetos


As we descended into Delhi, I caught my first hazy glimpse of India. I was surprised at how quickly urban Delhi becomes farms and pastureland, given that nearly twelve million people live here. I also spotted the famous Baha'i Temple, shaped like a lotus blossom, and Humayun's Tomb, a famous Mughal tomb whose architecture partly inspired the Taj Mahal.

After collecting my bags, exchanging money, and clearing customs (a snap), I met my hotel's driver and we took off for Delhi. All manner of vehicles shared the main highway into the city - cars, trucks, buses alongside bikes, scooters, and tuk-tuks. Though the traffic and pollution didn't surprise me, the wildlife did -- from the car, I spotted my first brahmin cow (with a calf), several monkeys, and a peacock! I was also surprised at how much green space there is in the city - there are many overgrown, wild-looking parks ringed with wrought-iron fences, which kind of reminded me of The Secret Garden.

Drivin' in Delhi

My hotel, called Yes Please, is in the busy neighborhood of Paharganj, which straddles Old and New Delhi. It's noisy and crowded and definitely feels like India! When I ventured out for some dinner and bottled water a bit ago, I found pakoras sizzling in sidewalk vendors' pans, saris hanging in nearly every window, and motorbikes nearly running me over at every step.

View from my window at Hotel Yes Please



I found a rooftop restaurant overlooking the main square, and couldn't take my eyes off the commotion in the square below: tons of traffic (foot, motorbike, tuk tuk, bicycle, and cow), buying and selling of myriad merchandise, hundreds of conversations, and music blasting from every other shop window. A litter of puppies even tumbled about in the thick of it. I was able to divert myself from the view to enjoy my chicken curry, butter naan, and sweet lime soda ($3).

Having stayed up til nearly 10pm, it's about time for sleep! If I sleep through the night, I shouldn't have too much trouble with jet lag and be ready to see Delhi's sights tomorrow.

0 comments: