Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 3: Crazy, Crazy Delhi

Delhi has been as overwhelming to all the senses as I thought it would be. It's hot (although not as humid as I expected, so the 95-degree heat is a bit more manageable), loud, and constantly busy. The city comes at you from all directions, and so does the endless stream of touts, all trying to get you to take a ride in their taxi, visit their "brother's shop", and buy goods at the same stores (which undoubtedly pay them the best commissions). They're very persistent, but many are friendly and continue the conversation even after I've politely but firmly declined their offer. Some even offer good advice, such as one tout who advised me, "Don't talk to anyone in Delhi. You'll lose money." It's all the name of the game in Delhi, so I've kept my wits by keeping a smile, and taking respite from the crowds and traffic by visiting some of Delhi's many beautiful ruins, memorials, and gardens.

For the past two days, I've started my mornings by visiting my corner fruit juice vendor, having a glass of freshly-made melon juice, and stocking up on bottled water. Then I grab a quick breakfast in the neighborhood. My favorite has been the masala dosa (a thin, crunchy crepe pancake stuffed with spiced potatoes) from "Dosa Yes Please" across the street from my hotel.


Then it's off to see the sights. I've visited the Red Fort (the center of the Mughal Empire at its end); Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India; Humayun's Tomb (a World Heritage site); Lodhi Gardens, and Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi's main bazaar.

Humayun's Tomb
Tending the grounds at Humayun's Tomb
Praying at Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque Praying at Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque
Hustle and bustle in Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi's main bazaar

Visiting all the sights in Delhi can make you very hungry and *very* thirsty. Thankfully there are drink sellers nearly every 100 feet, but since the drinks are not quite as ice-cold as you'd hope for after walking around in the heat, I'm not too ashamed to admit that I visited a McDonalds for a truly ice-cold Diet Coke. Also, it was fun to read the menu -- the McTikka Aloo was the most amusing thing I saw on the menu, which had a vegetarian patty and some sort of curry-ish looking sauce.

McDonalds India-style, with the McTikka Aloo and no beef products

Signs in Old DelhiA boy in the ruins of a mosque at Humayun's Tomb
After a day of seeing the sights, I come back to my neighborhood and find some dinner, which has usually been at the rooftop place I found on the first day. I've had some very tasty lamb and chicken curries, accompanied by as much naan as I can stuff myself with. After dinner, I stroll through the main bazaar in the neighborhood, which has a dizzying array of merchandise for sale.


This afternoon I'll meet up with my first group, and tomorrow morning I'll say goodbye to Delhi and continue on to Jaipur, known as the Pink City. Delhi has been a good introduction to India, but I'm ready to see what else is out there!

0 comments: