Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pictures of... me

I've had a couple of requests for some pictures of me, so please forgive me this vain post dedicated to pictures of... me :)

One thing that has really surprised me is that frequently, we tourists become the tourist attraction. On several occasions, a friendly Indian or Nepali has motioned to their camera and then to me and said, "Photo?" I usually reach for their camera expecting that they want me to take a picture of them in front of whatever monument we happen to be visiting, but almost always what they mean is that they want a photo of me, usually with their family. It's very touching, but a bit odd to think that there will be photos of me in half a dozen Indian and Nepali family photo albums!

Taking pictures at the Taj Mahal at sunrise

With a local photographer's son at the Taj Mahal

With a baby elephant at the Elephant Breeding Center in Chitwan, Nepal

With an official mailbox outside the Pokhara, Nepal post office

Snuggling with a Nepali woman's baby goat (the owner is the woman in the orange sari)
I named him "Tenzing"

Drinking Diet Coke (I think that's what it says, anyway!)

It's all about the Gandhis

Showing off my fake henna (an ink seller on the street in Orchha, India grabbed me by the arm and painted me up before I could really protest)

0 comments: