Friday, March 27, 2009

I Get Around...

Southeast Asia is an incredibly diverse place, not least in how people get around. Of course I'll be making use of standard planes, trains, and automobiles as I traverse the continent, but I'll also ride in some uniquely South Asian modes of transport. Here are a few of the standouts:

Tuk-tuks are three-wheeled taxis common in large cities, especially Bangkok. They're small and maneuverable in gridlocked traffic, and can also be a bit nervewracking.



A songthaew (literally "two rows") is a larger taxi, often used for longer distances than a tuk-tuk. It takes its name from the two bench seats fixed along either side of the back of the truck.


I'll be riding elephants on an elephant safari in Chitwan National Park in Nepal, and will probably have several other opportunities to ride them in Thailand and Malaysia. It's not the most comfortable ride, but it is a fun one :)

I'll take several overnight trains in India and Thailand. This was one of my favorite experiences when I visited Thailand in 2002 because train travel was so exotic to me then. It's a lot of fun: in the evening, a porter comes around and flips the regular train seats into a cozy little bunk with clean linens and a window view. I remember sleeping soundly and awakening to sunrise views in a completely different landscape. So much better than a redeye flight in coach!

On the beaches and islands in Southern Thailand, taxis are replaced by longtail boats. They're sturdy wooden boats with an outboard motor attached to the back. As you walk along the beaches, longtail drivers shout, "BOAT BOAT! 10 BAHT!"

After crossing the border into Laos from Thailand, I'll take a slow boat down the Mekong River to Vientiane. Apparently the title is well-deserved, and you're forced to put your feet up and relax... it's a really slow boat!

I'm really excited for an overnight trip on a traditional junk in Vietnam's Halong Bay.

Last but not least, I'm planning to take a ride on Yeti Airlines to check out Mt. Everest and the other tallest mountains in the world when I'm in Kathmandu. I mean, really, YETI AIRLINES?



0 comments: