Sunday, March 29, 2009

3 Months of Clothing, Four Ziplock Bags

One of the questions I've been most asked is "What are you going to wear on a trip like this?" At first, I was planning to go ultralight and wear one pair of pants, one pair of shorts, and 3 t-shirts for 3 months. The more I thought about this, though, it seemed ridiculous. I mean, really, one pair of pants??

So, I bought one more pair of pants ;-)

I'll be in the tropics for most of the trip, and it will be very hot and humid. Even Kathmandu, in the shadow of the world's tallest mountains, will be 80+ degrees. I'll also likely run into a lot of afternoon rainstorms in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia, which means I'll need light clothing made of water-resistant and quick-drying materials (basically, no cotton).

Here it is, 3 months' worth of clothing! I usually pack more than this for a weekend away...


Here's what I'm bringing:

  • 3 t-shirts (will probably buy a couple more on the road)
  • 1 long-sleeved thermal shirt
  • 2 basic camisole tank tops
  • 1 dressier camisole top
  • 1 pair of North Face utility pants
  • 1 pair of lightweight cotton roll-up capris
  • 1 pair of yoga pants (for flights, overnight train rides, etc.)
  • 1 pair of shorts
  • 2 swimsuits
  • 1 sundress
  • 10 pairs of socks, 10 underwear
  • 1 water resistant, wind resistant Columbia shell (not shown)

0 comments: