Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Being a Better Traveler

As I prepare for this trip, I've been thinking about how best to be a responsible traveler. I think the basics are easy -- don't buy animal products or anything illegally made; support local mom-and-pop shops whenever possible; be generous but spend money in ways that minimize impact on the local culture; practice non-environmentally-impactful travel and leave each place cleaner than you found it; set a good example both for other travelers and for locals alike. But since this is such a big trip for me, I want to do more than just be a conscientious traveler; I'd like to do some proactive things, too. Here are a couple of things I've been thinking of, and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on them and any other ideas :)

1) Be a responsible photographer. For me this means a few things: 1) be conscientious when photographing the landscape and people. Treat my subjects as I would want to be treated and set a good example. 2) Take photos for a reason. It's been awhile since I've done this. Most of the pictures I take now don't have any deeper meaning than that I like the composition. I have a great opportunity to explore a more photojournalistic approach, and this is an area I hope to improve on this trip. 3) Share my photos as much as possible. The more people see of these places, the more they will be interested in going there, yes, but also, hopefully, the more interested they'll be in preserving them.

2) I wanted to donate to a Kiva.org project in each country I'm going to, but it turns out that Kiva is so popular, I could only find someone to lend to in Cambodia! If you don't know about Kiva, you should check them out. They are a microfinance institution that facilitates the lending of funds to small entrepreneurs in developing economies that would not otherwise have access to loans. Here's the profile of the entrepreneur I loaned to in Cambodia. Maybe I'll run into her in Siem Reap!

Hong Prien, age 46, is a resident of Siem Reap Province, Cambodia. She has five children. The two oldest work with her and the three youngest attend school. She is married to Nat, age 40, who is a police officer who protects the community. Prien has been selling clothes in front of the Takeo Temple since 1980. She is a responsible mother and a friendly seller and she has a lot of clients, including tourists and locals. Her shop is full of traditional and modern clothes. She wants to increase her income, so Prien is taking a loan of $500 to buy more traditional clothes for her shop. The loan will help the family to attain a better standard of living.

0 comments: